- 2 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- sliced bread
- Toast carefully square slices of bread with the crust removed.
- While hot, butter them, and then plunge in a bowl of hot water.
- Place them on a heated dish and stand in the oven, while you make the rare-bit.
- Put the milk into a porcelain-lined or granite saucepan and stand it over a moderate fire.
- When boiling hot, add the grated cheese; stir continually until the cheese is melted.
- Add the salt, cayenne, and beaten yolks, and pour it over the toasted bread.
- A rich cheese must be used or the rare-bit will be tough.