- standing rib roast beef
- Select a two or three standing rib roast.
- Wipe with a damp cloth and rub with salt and pepper.
- Place the roast in a dripping pan with the fat side up.
- Make a small incision through the fat covering and insert a roast-meat thermometer into the center of the roast.
- Do not cover the roast and do not add any water.
- Place the meat in a slow oven (300f) and roast to the desired degree of doneness.
- The roast-meat thermometer will register 140f for a rare roast; 160f for a medium roast, and 170f for a well-done roast.
- Allow 18-20 minutes to the pound for cooking a rare roast, 22-25 minutes to the pound for a medium, and 27-30 minutes to the pound for a well-done roast.