- 3 pound macaroni, (3 quarts plus 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 1/2 quart evaporated milk
- 3 pound American cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 quart bread crumbs, (1 pound, 2 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cup butter, (3/4 pound)
- Boil macaroni until just tender in a large amount of boiling water to which 3 tablespoons salt have been added.
- Drain and rinse.
- Scald milk over boiling water.
- Add cheese, that has been cut into small pieces, mustard and cayenne and continue cooking over boiling water until cheese is just melted.
- Combine macaroni and cheese sauce.
- Turn into buttered baking pans, cover with crumbs that have been thoroughly mixed with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350f) until crumbs are brown, about 25 minutes.