- 5 pint water
- 1 pint red lentils
- 1 onion
- 3 sticks celery, or some celery seed
- 1 ounce dripping
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- The lentils must be soaked all night in cold water.
- Melt the dripping in a saucepan, fry the lentils, sliced onion, and celery cut in small pieces.
- Stir over the fire for 5 minutes.
- Then add the water and boil gently, stirring occasionally, till the lentils are quite soft.
- Pass all through a sieve, return to the saucepan, add the pepper and salt, and heat again.