- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 slices day-old bread, trimmed and cubed
- 2 quart crisp mixed salad greens
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup wine vinegar
- 1 small can anchovy
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut slashes in garlic cloves; add to salad oil; let stand several hours or overnight; remove garlic.
- Put 2 tablespoons of this salad oil in an 8-inch skillet; add bread cubes; cook, stirring with a fork until crisp and brown on all sides.
- Put greens in large salad bowl.
- Break egg over greens.
- Add remaining oil, vinegar, anchovies, cheese and bread croutons.
- Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss until all traces of egg disappear.